Thursday, May 20, 2010

Can I Keep Her?




She was the one for me. Of the many orphans I met and spent time with in Lungi, Sierra Leone, there was bound to be at least one that profoundly mesmerized me. Now, that’s not to say I wouldn’t scoop every single one up if the opportunity presented itself. Little Adame Bungura, who went by A.D., caught my eye the first day we arrived at Pastor Jacob’s house this past January.

Her presence is charming, her demeanor fiercely loving. She is a worshipper. The way this young lady was discovered is one of those circumstances that we often hear, but seldom have the ability to realistically grasp. She was simply walking by herself. She was walking alone and it was evident that she had no family. Pastor Jacob explains, “They left the child and she was just walking about.” Street children are so unfortunately common in this impoverished country.

A.D. is a brilliant girl. She is five years old and already in Grade 3. She assertively recited the ABC’s and she unquestionably surpassed my skill at five! And she was doing it barefoot, covered by the dust of the earth with glowing white teeth and the most beautifully woven hair I’d ever seen. I love watching God shower love on his children.

She’s a singer and I wish you could see the video I have of her dancing and singing with her arms up high in the air, eyes closed as if it was just her and Jesus boogie-ing. She caught us videoing her once and she was completely and utterly untainted. She just closed them again and kept on. It was beautiful. The feature I valued so much in her was the very same quality Pastor Jacob described the example of her character on a regular basis: “She is so very appreciative. She gets along with everyone. She is a very good girl with good potentials if only she can be cared for. She will be great in the future.”

The orphanage that Orphan’s Promise is building is such a Godsend and encouragement for situations like these. Their plentiful contribution has set this area on a Jesus wildfire. The needs are still abundant and it is evident that God is certainly planning a fruitful future. Sometimes in such destitute places, you can vividly see the Holy Spirit; there is a special glow around these people and I could smell their yearning for a deepened relationship with their Creator, not just with man, not just with money, and not just with our help. It is real. That’s where I want to be.

It is undeniable that this ministry is growing and more children will be seeking the light that these people carry. It is our prayer that people continue to grab the vision and invest in the cause. It’s a righteous cause. It is wonderful that they will have a place to live, and of close importance is building a Christian school. The only school offered to these children in this community is a Muslim school, where they are forced and expected to participate in the rituals of the faith. It takes a little to do a lot in a country like this. We need to support and pray this through to fruition.

One thing I want to mention about Pastor Jacob is that he is such an incredibly hard worker. He is the most delightful man and his heart is bigger than the earth itself. He tirelessly labors in the realm of construction and/or any trade that will support the Lord’s ministry there. His drive is Christ, not abundance. It’s to sustain, and then give it all away. How awesome it is to partner with such a man. His wife, Fatu, as well, is a warrior of a woman. She cares for these 23 children with all of her might and is equally “mama” to all of them, from the physical needs to the emotional and spiritual needs of the children. I am thankful A.D. has acquired a phenomenal mother.

Here’s the catch with these children. Our standards would conclude that they have nothing. The world would say they have very little. They, themselves, would say they were blessed. In a way I was shocked that the children were so well behaved. I guess the many years I had seen the very somber faces of children in need on various advertisements for initiatives to help these children – I might have thought to myself…”They’re children; they can’t be that humble all the time, can they?! Kids are kids at the end of the day!” I’m here to tell you, if I could take our children to Sierra Leone in this stage of their life, I’d do it and call it the educational and spiritual field trip of a lifetime. Trust me, they will go in the future. These children have changed me. They have touched my heart. Their essence won’t leave me and, truly, that’s not really essence, that’s the Holy Spirit. That’s His pressing on the hearts of those who care and who can show that with effortful support.

Almost always, life’s circumstances should be understood with context in mind. Every book of the Bible has a context. So think about this and read the following sentences with two contexts in mind. Once, read it for your own children amidst their daily lives at school. Twice, read it as if you are a parent of a child and living in Sierra Leone. I was reading an emergency preparedness letter that an educational institution sent out to parents. A part of it read, “We want to remind parents that no matter how hard we try to protect our children-emergencies happen. Preparedness is key to ensuring children in need receive the right care when it counts.” It also made the statement that over 30 million children need emergency care due to injury or illness. What emergencies are they talking about? I’ll let you decide. My heart and mind immediately shot to the children I spent time with in Sierra Leone. It also went to the adults. We’re all in a crisis; it’s called sin. We’re not home. We’re to keep a global worldview and consider how many things are happening spiritually all at once in our vast universe. I see a worthy emergency, an exciting crisis. Jesus’ message is hope, not despair. Positivity is reigning in a disastrous area and Orphan’s Promise is fighting evil on the front line with these loving people. Jesus Christ is alive and well.

So, can I keep her? The answer is, she’d be better off where she is, in a country that needs a little girl, going-to-be-woman, in the future; it’s home to her. We often mistake, as Christians, the importance and value of culture. Although broken in many African countries, one thing remains the same. The people are unique; they are capable individuals that have as big a heart as anyone to love Jesus Christ. We, who want to make a difference, need to meet them where they are at and build bridges, not change the very beautiful fundamental nature of their being. What I can do, however, is commit to encouraging fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to join the cause. I’m sure you’ve heard the tale about fishing…Don’t just give your children fish, teach them how to catch them and how to fish for themselves, so when you’re gone, they don’t starve. That’s our ambition. Orphan’s Promise is facilitating an inconceivable outpouring of resources full of hope and encouragement. What they are providing is a platform for these incredible ministers of the Lord to grow the kingdom where they are. This is my Father's world. O let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet. This is my Father's world: why should my heart be sad? The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! God reigns; let the earth be glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment